I want to start a series called “Fiction Fridays” where, as
the name implies, I write (or at least post) a piece of fiction I wrote based
on one of the hundreds of prompts I’ve collected.
I’ve been in such a rut with my writing lately. Hopefully
this can spice things up again.
I intend to always display what the prompt was, either at
the beginning or at the end of the piece, depending if the piece calls for
mystery or not. Maybe when I know I have enough followers, I can turn this into
something like, “read the prompt and reverse engineer – guess what the prompt
was – in the comments. And then the following Thursday or something I can
reveal what the prompt was.
I don’t know. We’ll see where things go from here.
This past Wednesday, my roommate, Natalie, and I lead our
writing group and provided different prompts for everyone. They had their choice of which prompts and we
only got fifteen minutes to write. It was a hilarious time where we could get
some different creative juices flowing. And I hope to post it exactly as I
wrote it, with minimal edits – grammar fixes only. Anyways… my first entry in
Fiction Fridays:
Reverend Smith cleared his throat for the third time, but
his flock didn’t flinch. One hundred and forty-four eyes stared back at him,
glazed over like the doughnuts in his office. How could he get through to them?
If he could somehow multiply his passion for Christ and transfer it to these
people, the way that Christ multiplied the fish and bread and fed 5,000 people,
he would do it in a heartbeat. He begged the Holy Spirit to rouse them.
See, not even his own congregation knew the truth of his
faith. He told them of a lonely childhood in a godless home, until a missionary
came though town. He didn’t entirely lie to them. He did have a lonely
childhood. His parents were explorers, and he was born on a spaceship. His
parents never told him of deities on his planet. He had been angry when he
arrived on Earth to find this God, the only god that made sense to him – the people
of Earth were His chosen people. Did
his people know about the Savior? Even from 900 lightyears away, Did His savior
still love them?
Prompt: The pastor is an alien from another planet. What
happens?
No comments:
Post a Comment